Wednesday, May 6, 2015

Day 2: No Sleep Till Pittsburgh

         I started day number 2 with the same morning routine; workout, swim, awesome breakfast. On today's schedule are two classes, a visit to the Phu My Hung Corporation, and some quality time with the Vietnamese students. With a full schedule, today was a long but very enjoyable day. 
     The first class of the day was a lecture of urban development in Ho Chi Minh City. As a prospective civil engineer, I thoroughly enjoyed the talk and was very interested in the source material. Ho Chi Minh City has come a long way in the past twenty years since the Doi Moi economic restoration, but it still has a long way to go. After class ended, the teachers gave us a short break where we could explore right off the campus. A large group of students and I found a small shop where we got to try Vietnamese iced coffee. It was excellent, and I'll definitely be drinking that every day on the trip. Then we had a second language class where we learned introductions from our new Vietnamese friends. I'm having some trouble with the language, especially the tones, but it is still very fun to learn. By the end of these next two weeks, I'm hoping to have fully learned some basic phrases. 
    Following class, we went out for a nice lunch and then visited the Phu My Hung Corporation. They are an urban planning company who are currently undertaking a huge construction project in South Saigon that is 20 years in the making. They gave us a pretty impressive presentation and the urban center they are creating is beautiful. The goal of Phu My Hung is to create an urban environment that is not as crowded as the majority of Ho Chi Minh City while also placing a heavy emphasis on maintaining the environment. I thought very highly of the company's efforts, and I was highly impressed by the extensiveness of the planned city. I think that the corporation's project is going to be to represent the future of construction in that green construction takes center stage and urban areas are extensively planned for multiple situations. Dr. Berman brought up an interesting point however on the initial start-up of the development. The corporation portrayed the lands as a wasteland before, but it was actually farmland used by a small population. The government took control of the land, as land is not owned by individuals in Vietnam's communist system, and let Phu My Hung take over control. It brought up an intriguing dilemma, where one must decide the benefit of urbanization in a economically undeveloped country to the moral problem of taking over an individual's property. I appreciate how so far in two days, there were already two major philosophical points that were brought up, one about Vietnamese higher education on the first day and consequences of urban development on the second. The program definitely offers more than I expected in terms of critical thinking, and I very much like the challenge. 
  


  The group arrived back at the hotel at around 6 o'clock and we met up with the Vietnamese students shortly afterward. They took us to a restaurant where we had pho, a traditional noodle dish in this country. It was fantastic, my initial picky eater worries have been more than overcome. The students took us to a local hangout in the city next to a church and we explored more downtown. One girl Kate, who is the primary Vietnamese student in charge of our activities, offered to take students back to the church Saturday evening for mass. I am very curious as to how their mass will be presented, so I think I will take her up on that offer. Tomorrow the Vietnamese students offered to take us out again, and I am very excited for that opportunity. Other than that, I'm pretty tired, goodnight!



P.S. The pictures don't do the city justice

P.P.S. This baby was staring at our group of Americans, and I thought he was adorable. His mom thankfully said I could take this picture. 
P.P.P.S. This picture is for my dad, an avid Popeye's fried chicken lover. They are everywhere around here, and one was even three stories tall. WOW!
P.P.P.P.S. The reason for the lateness is that I have been having trouble with the Internet. 

No comments:

Post a Comment