Monday, May 4, 2015

Day 1: Good Morning, Vietnam!

     Successful first day in Ho Chi Minh City. I started off the day by waking up at 6, followed by a quick morning workout and swim. The workout room felt like a sauna but the pool was extremely refreshing. I think that it will be a good morning routine with my friend Dan as it was a very helpful wake-up. Then breakfast was amazing. Fresh fruit, good sausage, and delicious coffee. Vietnamese style coffee uses condensed milk as a sweetener, which is very good. I look forward to eating these breakfasts for the next two weeks.
     Our first group activity was going to the school to meet the students of the University of Economics and Finance. The students were very excited to meet all of us visitors from Pitt and greeted us with leis as we got off of the bus. I felt like an MVP. All of the Vietnamese students rushed up to meet us and introduce themselves. Some of the host students prepared dance routines for us, and they were very impressive. The rest of the Pittsburgh students and I received gifts including some books for our upcoming classes and matching shirts (very nice polo shirts I might add). The guys also received nice ties while the girls were fitted for traditional Vietnamese dresses that they will receive later. I feel so welcome to the country and can't wait to get to know my student counterparts.
     After the introduction ceremony, my group took a nice lunch break. As a picky eater, I was initially worried about what I would eat in a foreign country. So far, my worries have been for not, the two meals I had were fantastic. Following lunch, the group took a tour of HUTECH University. It is one of few private universities in this country. Our speaker, Dr. Nam, offered a great perspective at the state of secondary education in Vietnam. Overall, the visit definitely improved my knowledge of Vietnamese society.
     The rest of the day was interesting, highlighted by a visit to a supermarket and a good dinner. The only problem so far that I've encountered is the heat. Thankfully a second visit to the hotel pool solved that problem. Now it's time for bed because tomorrow is a big day with our first company visit. My first impression of the country is great, and there is still more for me in store in the following two weeks.

No comments:

Post a Comment